Sunday, March 29, 2015

How to help tenants displaced by Lower East Side explosion

State Senator Brad Hoylman has suggestions for helping in recovery efforts for those harmed by the huge gas explosion that blew up a couple of buildings on 2nd Avenue and 7th Street in Manhattan on March 26, 2015.  

At this time, recovery officials are not requesting in-kind donations. You can:
  • Donate to the Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization chaired by First Lady Chirlane McCray that facilitates high-impact public-private partnerships. The Mayor's Fund is now accepting donations to assist those affected by the East Village building collapse. Click here to make a tax-deductible donation. You can also mail contributions to:  Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City, 253 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10007 (specify "East Village" on your check). If you have questions, email

  • Register to become a volunteer to support the American Red Cross, which is on site providing temporary housing, financial assistance and other support to victims. Begin the registration process here. You can make a tax-deductible donation to the disaster releif efforts of the Red Cross here.
  • Register to become a volunteer with Lower East Side Long Term Recovery Group, a disaster-preparedness group comprised of community groups and institutions in the Community Board 3 area. Register to become a volunteer here or email Lilah Mejia at
  • Report any missing persons by calling 311 or 212-NEW-YORK from outside NYC.
  • Always report gas leaks by calling 911 or 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633), after having evacuated the premises and taken others with you.
Please contact me at 212-633-8052 or if you or someone you know needs any assistance during this difficult time for our community.

All best,

Brad Hoylman
State Senator
27th District

No comments:

Post a Comment